Sunday, November 19, 2006

Two Down...Three To Go

Day two on the floor. I must say this Sunday went better than last Sunday. Still very unorganized and crazy, but I guess that's to be expected. I feel like I didn't learn much today. I was busy most of the day, but didn't actually remember anything I was supposed to from class.

Today my friend Chante and I shared a patient. She was a very friendly woman in her mid 80's. She had Parkinson's and a little dementia, but just she was very pleasant and was a good sport letting us poke at her all day and asking her lots of questions. I think she enjoyed the company.

So we gave a bedbath (another one, how many of these do I need to do before I can say I know how and stop!?), changed the bedsheets, gave her meds, and that was about it. Funny how that can keep you busy all day. I spent a lot of time talking to her about her family and her life. I really like being a busybody and nursing gives me a reason to do it!

Another day down and I haven't made any life-threatening mistakes! The nurse's aid did ask me if we bathed her, watched her eat, and DOH! did any mouth care - which I totally forgot! I felt like an idiot, but I won't forget that again. She had a catheter and I had to empty it and YEAH I didn't get urine all over! (Hey, its a big deal the first few times!).

Overall, a decent day. The charting mixes me up...the "correct" way to note things, the medical jargon, etc. We had a box that said "Breath Sounds best heard at..." Um, what? All of the sudden all of my anatomy slipped away...so we wrote "chest". I'm sure that's not what they were looking for! And I'm sure there will be a lot of red pen on my paper when I get it back next week.

There was an interesting little old lady next door calling us all kinds of nasty names...she actually used the N-word a few times. I couldn't believe it. I guess that's what we have to look forward to in psych next semester. It was pretty bad. When she started calling poeple "Fatso" I decided that was my cue to exit before she picked me out of the crowd of nurses.

The nurses today were actually very nice and helpful. Which was a nice change from last week. The aids were great too. They know a lot.

My legs and feet are killing me. I'm off to eat something finally. Heck, I didn't even get a bathroom break today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter