Sunday, January 21, 2007

Where Cigarettes Go For $60 A Pack

My psych rotation started today! Nothing too exciting to report, sorry. Since I'm at a state facility, there was a mound of paperwork we had to fill out and training we had to do, so that took most of the morning.

In the afternoon we just toured the facilities and then we hung out in the rec room with some of the patients. It was a little awkward. I'm sure it was for them as much as it was for us. We talked to a couple of people, but not very much. There wasn't much input from the instructor. I thought she would be circulating and trying to get conversations started, but she didn't, so I was little disappointed.

I found a nice looking, younger woman to talk to. She was very friendly. After about 10 minutes into the conversation I figured out she wasn't a patient, but a Kent State University student doing her master's program in counseling and she was there for clinicals too :) I must have just picked the most normal-looking person in the room to start a conversation with. We both a good laugh about that one. She will be there every Sunday and she was a lot of help telling me about the patients since she has already been working with them for about 3 weeks now. Turns out she does some poetry therapy with them and since I'm a designer, I think we'll do some group therapy together. I think it will be interesting.

So that was it. Pretty laid-back day and kinda boring. I'm looking forward to getting started and the weird, uncomfortable conversations to stop! Right now none of us know what to say to the patients. The instructor just wants us to go up and start talking to people. I don't even talk to my friends if I can help it! Just kidding :)

I'm just not one to start conversations with people I don't know in the checkout line at the store, let alone in the hospital. I try to stay out of other people's business and now I'm supposed to get in there and ask them about their "feelings"...everything is "how do you feel about this?"..."how does that make you feel?" I'd be pretty sick of people asking me that!

We had to role play again...ugh. The "nurse" asked the "patient" if the food at the hospital was good and the patient said yes. So we were supposed to recognize that we aren't supposed to ask yes/no questions. The instructor asked how we could have phrased the question differently. I told her he should have asked the patient "How do you like the food?" and when the patient said "its gross" ask her "and how does that make you feel?". At least the instructor laughed. I was pretty sick of talking about feelings at that point. I don't have a freakin' feeling about everything! I have two feelings: content and tired...that's it. Anytime you ask me, I'm either content or I'm tired.

So I ask you: After reading this blog, how does my rambling make you feel?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am now content AND tired! Get off the tofu!!! Eat real food!!
cd

Mon Jan 22, 01:02:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey jenni,
Ok, I can understand not wanting to eat meat that has been unhumanly killed, but not dairy. Just kill me. But good luck. If you decide not to do that, just buy organic dairy and free range, cage free eggs beef, chicken and pork!!!

Sounds like an interesting quarter!!
kathleen

Tue Jan 23, 04:08:00 PM EST  
Blogger dandelionpicker said...

Yes, the dairy part is killing me. I don't like soy cheese its yucka! However, the soy ice cream and yogurt is awesome. We'll see how it goes. I got some cookbooks from the library and the recipes sound really good!

Tue Jan 23, 05:37:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My feelings:

I feel cold (because it's cold outside), hungry (because it's dinner time), and irritated (because the president is cutting into my American Idol tonight)!

Sounds like this psych experience is going to leave you with lots to write about. Have fun.

Tue Jan 23, 07:11:00 PM EST  
Blogger dandelionpicker said...

If he ever cuts into Grey's Anatomy it's on!

Tue Jan 23, 07:15:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter